For the past 10 months, I’ve been a pretty active user of Bluesky. I enjoy it a lot, and I’ve managed to learn a lot about how it works, what works well and what doesn’t, and also what’s likely coming next.
I’ve decided to write down some of the tips & tricks that I often give to friends when I send them an invite code, or the advice and answers that I sometimes give to people that I find in some feed asking about things.
This of course got much longer than I planned 😅 so if only have a moment, here’s a TLDR:
- there are official iOS and Android apps, but you can also use bsky.app in the browser, or try e.g. Graysky, deck.blue, or Skeets
- if your timeline feels empty, go to the “Feeds” tab, look for the “Discover New Feeds” section and look for some feeds on the topics that interest you (on the top list or in the search); follow these feeds, and then if you find some interesting people posting in those feeds, follow them too. You can also search for feeds on goodfeeds.co.
- don’t be afraid to interact with people, repost good posts, like good comments, comment in threads and so on – that’s how you make friends! (but be nice :)
- if you see too much NSFW stuff, look for “Content filtering” settings in the Moderation tab
- everything you post here is very public, so don’t share anything too private 😏
- if you own some cool domain name like “taylorswift.com”, you can set it as your handle
- hashtags, gifs, post editing and word muting are coming; DMs and private profiles might be coming, but not anytime soon
- Jack Dorsey is not the CEO and does not run the company ;)
And now the long version: